/* */

Friday, July 01, 2005

Cleaning Out Old Mail

I store most of my old mail in a huge shoe box. I decided to do some cleaning and took it out last night. I spent about an hour going through all the mail and threw out 95% of them. I had mail back from 2002. There's really no point for me to keep any bill statements prior to this year. I can get access to my statements online now and there’s hardly any need for mail dating two years back or more. So I didn’t hold back and just let go of all the paper statements. Every time I get rid of junk in my apartment, I feel good. This kind of mail cleaning should be done at least once a year.

There was still another huge stack on my table not shown in picture.

4 Comments:

At 7/01/2005 01:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the other hand, if you do want to keep some of your mail, you can save a lot of room by getting rid of the envelopes and any useless inserts and ads. I keep my old bills in a file cabinet - each type with their own folder. Then if I did want to clean some of it out, I could do it in an organized fashion: e.g. want to get rid of bank statements over 3 years old? They're all in the bank folder, in reverse chronological order.

 
At 7/01/2005 07:16:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm in the process of purging my files, too, and I'm curious to know if you're doing anything about shredding. I have a home shredder, but it would take hours with the volume of stuff. I'm looking into perhaps outsourcing this job, but I'll make a concrete move on that after I've finished the purge. At any rate, are you just chucking it or are you eliminating any identifying names/accounts?

 
At 7/01/2005 08:45:00 PM, Blogger Money Turtle said...

I like to get rid of any useless junk files asap. After I pay off my bills, the statement immediately goes into the paper shredder. I just love that shredding sound!

 
At 7/02/2005 12:29:00 AM, Blogger Sean said...

Brian,

With identity theft at such a high stake now, I've decided to shred all confidential information. Since I don't have a shredder at a home, I took all my papers to work. =) I dumped everything into the shredder box. My company outsources the shredding work to a third party.

Money Turtle,

The problem with shredding them immediately is that if you need to go back to them, you wouldn't have it. I would hold them for a period of time just in case, unless you have the info online.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home