/* */

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Sleep Is Important

It is important to get a sufficient amount of sleep every night to ensure we can function properly during the day. But, I usually sleep less than seven hours a day, sometimes even less than 5. I think I have built up such a huge sleep debt it's time to start paying back. I was so tired yesterday I slept for 12 hours. I felt rejuvenated and ready to absorb more information this morning. When I was reading my BusinessWeek on my way to work I was able to read and understand the material quicker. My brain felt like a new sponge and I could think more clearly than ever. Therefore I conclude, getting enough sleep really does help me focus better during the day. "Sleep, like diet and exercise, is important for our minds and bodies to function normally. In fact, sleep appears to be required for survival. Rats deprived of sleep die within two to three weeks, a time frame similar to death due to starvation." "When we get less sleep (even one hour less) than we need each night, we develop a "sleep debt." If the sleep debt becomes too great, it can lead to problem sleepiness – sleepiness that occurs when you should be awake and alert, that interferes with daily routine and activities, and reduces your ability to function." Inadequate sleep can cause decreases in:

* Performance
* Concentration
* Reaction Times
* Consolidation of Information Learning
Inadequate sleep can cause increases in:
* Memory Lapses
* Accidents and Injuries
* Behavior Problems
* Mood Problems
Source: National Institutes of Health

3 Comments:

At 6/16/2005 07:48:00 PM, Blogger Money Turtle said...

I'm sleep deprived as well, I usually get only 6-7 hours of sleep. I usually put in 10 hour days at work and it just totally drains your energy... Why do I keep this up?!?

 
At 11/11/2005 10:09:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Smarty, well you know we humans always start doing things on one topic and later found ourselves doing something else, this is always what happened to me. I started looking for something on webmasterworld 2 hours ago however have found my seself looking at all different topics, of course including your site Sleep Is Important. I thought what the hell since I'm here already might as well just leave a few words. Ok I'll go on to search for webmasterworld related stuff again and hopefully it'll take me longer than last time to lose my concentration. cheers!

 
At 11/18/2005 05:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Smarty I'm working with the writer of this course for What is the purpose of life and Sleep Is Important has helped so thanks. Anny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home